Monday, September 2, 2013

Are Microwave's Worth It?


     Every so often I come upon a discussion of whether or not a microwave is worth the counter space.  Eventually in that conversation someone will mention that is is "less healthy" to use food cooked in microwaves as if it is damaged in some way.  After researching that a bit, I just don't buy it. If anything, microwave cooked food is more healthy because it cooks faster and doesn't sit as long, having enzymes or vitamins breaking down. The unevenness may even leave a few spots a bit more raw and therefore more healthy too as long as your food didn't start with unhealthy amounts of bacteria in the first place.

  An average six year old child can be taught to safely use a microwave with little supervision needed, that is enough of an advantage even if I went no further. 

     At my house, I only use my main oven a few times a season, mainly for baking. On a more daily basis I use a crockpot , microwave, toaster oven, bread machine or counter top grill.

     I have two microwaves in the kitchen and use them everyday.   One has a 30 sec, 1,2,3,4,5 minute buttons which is makes it so easy to use.    The other larger one, requires you push at least 5 buttons (cook, 1, 0, 0, start) to get that same item cooking for a minute.  Small detail but it makes a big difference, especially if you don't have your reading glasses on to see the location of all those buttons. 

Typical day in the life of my small kitchen appliances:

Breakfast- 2 frozen hash browns get popped into the smallest toaster oven I could find, ($12 at Dollar General) for 15 minutes. When that timer dings, I microwave 2 frozen sausage patties for 60 sec each for breakfast for my husband and I.   If we were extra hungry, I spray a small dish with cooking spray, add an egg and some cheese, scramble carefully so as not to scrape the spray off the sides and microwave for 60 sec. This also makes a perfect circle if he wants an Egg McMuffin kind of sandwich too.  Another favorite meal at our house is non-instant grits. 1/4 c of grits, 1/4t salt  and 1 cup of water in a 4 C bowl for 5 minutes in the microwave makes perfect non-lumpy grits. No stirring, no watching.  A handful of cheese and a tablespoon of bacon bits at the end doesn't hurt. ;) 
  
 A pop-up toaster on dark run three times would cook the hash browns to perfection as well, but when the toaster died, I was given the tiny oven as a gift and it has proven well worth the money even though I find I have to replace it every 2 years or so.  The advantage to a tiny oven is it uses less electricity (watts) and time to heat compared to using a larger  oven, even a larger toaster oven because the food is so close to the elements on both sides.  I also use that oven for toast if I need two slices or less. 

Lunch- My teenage son makes mac n cheese or  hamburger helper-type meals for his lunch in the microwave using a 2qt pyrex bowl.   He adds a frozen 1lb block of ground meat, cook on high about 3-5 minutes. If started raw, he then breaks it up and cooks it again  another 8 minutes or so, then proceeds with the pasta cooking.  If he is using pre-cooked meat he adds the pasta, seasoning and water to cover the pasta and microwaves for 8 minutes to cook the pasta.  The advantage to microwave cooking compared to stove top is the microwave turns itself off when it is done so there is little chance of burning it. He doesn't need to be in the kitchen keeping an eye on it. If he gets distracted or busy, the food will be waiting in the microwave.  

Snacks and lunches made in the microwave routinely- nachos with real cheese melted, takes only 45 seconds for a whole plate. Microwave popcorn, though I more often use an air popper as it is faster and cheaper.One cup of cheese or white sauce ("fondue") made from scratch takes 2 minutes in the microwave.  Hot dogs or corn dogs, leftovers found in the fridge, soup or canned anything found in the pantry.  One dish to cook, eat in and clean.  I rarely use a sauce pan on the stove if a pyrexd measuring cup in the microwave will work.  

Dinner-  Most cooked veggies are steamed in the microwave.  Many other elements of dinner are microwaved if I find myself with only 30 minutes or less to get the meal ready. Rice, if I need only a couple of cups takes 15 min in the microwave, larger amounts I use a rice cooker.   Potatoes, Any frozen "pre-cooked" meals or parts of a meal from meatballs to ribs are warmed up in the microwave. Smoked sausage cut into coins take only a couple of minutes for a whole plate full.  Tacos- meat is cooked in the microwave as above for hamburger helper.  

Desserts- Caramel popcorn, takes only a few minutes.  Two servings of freshly made cake takes 1 min, fudge, chocolate covered pretzels...

When entertaining the microwave has saved dinner many times when something was forgotten or under cooked at serving time. 

Someday I am going to do a comparison on how much energy a small and large microwave use to cook food compared to an electric and gas stove or other small appliances.  I suspect the microwave will win many rounds, except when competing against my solar cooker.

All in all, I think it is worth it. 

No comments:

Post a Comment